Friday, November 11, 2011

Picking the right bicycle helmet

In my first post on bike accessories, I discussed the importance of purchasing a helmet. Here I want to focus on how I selecting a helmet that fits my needs. With prices varying from $10-$300, and a variety of brands to choose from, this decision can quickly become overwhelming. But as I learned, when it comes ti gear, the first question is What do I need? 

No matter what any bilboard of magazine advertisement claims, all brands average the same in crash tests. No study has shown a relationship between a helmet's cost and its safety rating. In fact, the only thing you want to make sure is on your helmet, is the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) sticker. This proves the helmet has been tested, and meets all safety standards. Besides that, it is all about needs and looks : ) 

For me, I was looking for a simple helmet, that would provide ventilation as I commute to work, without breaking the bank. In the end, I went with a $30 entry level Giro. I have had this helmet for about three months now and couldn't be happier. In retrospect, the only thing I would change is my helmet's color. I haven't researched this, but I imagine that a lighter color would not only increase my visibility on the road, but absorb less of the suns heat. Just a theory. 


To finally decide on which helmet was right for me, I watched dozens of YouTube videos and read even more articles. The video below really helped give me a general idea of the types of bike helmets on the market and how to correctly fit one to my size. After watching it, I went into a few local bike shops to be sized and feel the difference between the various brands and price tags. Though I love my helmet, that does not mean it is the best helmet for your individual needs. I hope my experience and the video below will help you find what is right for you : ) 


No comments:

Post a Comment